Friday, July 23, 2010

Re-posting: Killing Everyone Inside (Dadaist exercise)

Killing Everyone Inside

Normally we would storm a house
get a million miles per gallon and explode once a year
where the humvees burned together.

Lilith's eyes turn cloudy mixing it together
killing everyone inside.

If a packed journalism convention burns to the ground
I think Michael would blow up the boat with that bomb
running stoplights until the bus flipped over.

The air in a room is not forbidden,
resources don't come out fast enough
but apparently they work damn well.

Up through the fire tower at batterie la railleuse
making yourself look better than you are.
And so this is where we stand.

<<<<<<< * >>>>>>>>

My brother, Pat, provoked a few of us in a Dadaist experiment. He provided instructions on how to create a band's name, album title, cover art, and the names of the songs. I so liked the names of some of the songs in my creation that I used a similar technique to create the words to a whole song. Maybe I can write the music in a similar manner. His method is as follows:

"A dadist exercise: (This is a neat little experiment that might make a good assignment for your students, Phil [Phil is one of our other brothers]):
I got this as one of those little web experiments from someone I know.

1 - Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
The first random Wikipedia article you get is the name of your band.

2 - Go to Random quotations: http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3
The last four words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album.

If you want to do this again, you'll hit refresh to generate new quotes, because clicking the quotes link again will just give you the same quotes over and over again.

3 - Go to flickr's "explore the last seven days" http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/
Third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.

Put it all together, that's your debut album. (It will resemble you.)


I got: BĂ©rchules – Not From Anyone Else "

My results were:
My band: History of Gujarat
Album: Are Caught By Desire


I came up with a song list in a similar way to the title, as suggested by Pat. After that I came up with the lyrics, above, by using the song title in a google search and taking random passages from the results. About the only thing I don't like is the cover art idea. I had a picture of a woman running near a park.

POST-SCRIPT: I posted this to a poetry forum and got mixed reviews. No one panned it entirely, but a few people were disturbed by the imagery, and one person said it seemed very political and though liked it he thought he'd seen too many similar to it lately.

In spite of the randomness of it all, I like how it almost fits together. I love some of the images (packed journalism convention burning to the ground, fire tower at batterie la railleuse) and odd statements like 'making yourself look better than you are'.

If anyone can help me set it to music, I'd be thrilled.

Copyright 2008 & 2010 by Paul Austin/Patrick Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment