Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fun Stuff



We're having a few guests over tomorrow for a shitload of barbecue. We had to get another grill to accomodate it. Just a small one, as you can see.


Jennifer worked her ass off while I frittered around. Here she is returning from the garden with Lola.



Toward the end of the day I got out my great-grandfather's draw knife and whittled a seasoned sapling into a walking stick. In this picture is the stick (about 4.5'), the draw knife and a Stanley surform. The stick on the right is a remnant of the original sapling.


This will be the head. Should I carve something into it?

Whoops, the surform slipped.
After I took these pictures I sanded it. I love how well-seasoned wood works. Years ago I would make things like this from freshly cut wood, and it always worked out poorly. I cut this particular sapling down three years ago, when we first moved in. In fact, it may have been Jennifer's dad who cut it down (from the tree in this picture). It sat in the garage all that time.

Check back tomorrow for pictures of the wild and crazy barbecue Jennifer is preparing.

No comments:

Post a Comment