Wednesday, September 27, 2017

My first IBM Blog post - Autism and hiring

For three years now, I have had an interest in hiring people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). People "on the spectrum" often have incredible talent despite their diagnosis. Like many people with disabilities, just providing simple accommodation and promoting understand in the work place can help people with ASD become incredible, productive, happy, and loyal employees.

I've worked within IBM to promote a hiring program, spread understanding, and banded together many employees affected by autism by forming a small community inside IBM called an ERG (employee resource group) or BRG (business resource group). My reputation grew to the point where I was asked to write a short blog for IBM on the topic of autism and hiring.

We have just recently started a hiring program in Lansing, Michigan, that aims to hire 3-5 developers on the spectrum. If that succeeds, we hope to replicate the model in other cities and divisions of IBM.

Stay tuned and we may update that site with news in the next few months!

2 comments:

  1. As a mother dealing with two little boys with ADHD/Autism, I appreciate this. Do you see areas, though, where companies in the future can almost take advantage of people with ASD? I worry about that, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi - by "take advantage of" do you mean 'exploit' or 'use to their benefit"? I suspect the former. I heard an anecdote from a colleague of a hiring manager in Singapore who mused, "we could hire them and pay them peanuts" - so I do believe there are people out there who would exploit them. We have to be vigilant against this for any group we advocate for - veterans, disabled, etc.

    ReplyDelete