Saturday, October 8, 2011

What I Saw At the Revolution, Part 2

In a previous post I mentioned that I spoke with a man about how the protest space, the occupied Zuccotti Park, was organized. Here are some more photos taken observing the different facets of the protest.

When I arrived at about 10 A.M., these guys and half a dozen others were lined up on the Broadway side of the park. Tour buses went by often, and the tourists would wave and snap photos. Some cheered.

Also on the Broadway side of the park was where a lot of meetings took place. Just about any time I walked by this corner a crowd was assembled for some reason.

Police flank the Broadway side of the park. They were on all sides of the park, watching. I never once saw a confrontation of any sort.

This is a gray-water system for cleaning up the dishwater. The treated water was used to maintain the plants in the park.

Signs along the Liberty Street edge of the park.

A police tower on the corner of Liberty and Trinity. I do not know if it was manned or not at the time, or if it was put there specifically for this event or not.

An information board.


 The information center. Anyone could stop here and get an idea what was going on - who was there, why, what events were going on, where's food, how can I help, etc.


Near an ersatz library, a map was displayed with pins in all the cities where similar protests were occurring.

A sign on the flowers asked people to walk around them. I saw only one spot in the entire park where a few flowers were trampled. There was a sign there apologizing for the mess, stating that the police did it. I have no idea if that is true.

A press office.

The cig-rolling committee.

Every 20 feet I saw someone sweeping. Later, I saw someone cordon off an area, mop it, dry it as best as they could, then re-open the area.


Avaaz (which according to their website means 'voice' in several European and Middle Eastern languages) had a presence here. A small generator powered their display of a website on which people spoke about about the issues in solidarity with this protest.


This QR code was at the information desk. I don't know what it scanned to.

The information booth was well-staffed all day.


I was encouraged to take what I liked from the food line, but I did not. There were boxes and boxes of supplies behind the people serving, and more rolled in on a cart from Liberty Street as I walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment