Friday, January 27, 2012

The Problem With Wearing Sports Apparel As Fashion

I have a Liverpool F.C. scarf. I bought it in London and I wear it because I grew up in Liverpool, New York. (Oddly enough, the RBC scarf I bought because I once lived in Rosendale, NY, has the same colors as Liverpool High School - orange and blue).

I was walking into the building where I work this morning when someone eyed me suspiciously. He said, "Liverpool, huh?"

In a split second, I remembered that I had the Liverpool scarf on and that was what he was talking about (not that he knew I went to Liverpool High School). So I responded, "Yeah."

He then says, "Walking alone?"

Again I had to think quickly - I had read the scarf, so I immediately responded, "You'll never walk alone" and smirked. I was glad to be walking the other way at this point.

A friend here at work - who is a real football fan - gets mad at me whenever I wear this scarf, or the RBC scarf. He thinks if I know nothing about the sport, I shouldn't be allowed to wear the scarves. I don't know much about baseball, either, but I wear a Boston Red Sox cap to remember my grandmother. She was a BoSox fan, and never got to see their wins in 2004 and 2007.

I was wearing the cap on the beach in CT in August when people walking by me shook their heads. One guy passing by tried to engage me: "It was awful last night, wasn't it?" I just stared. I did not know what he was talking about. My daughter elbowed me and said, "IF YOU'RE GOING TO WEAR THE DAMN HAT, YOU HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAME!"

No comments:

Post a Comment