Sunday, September 4, 2011

Assorted Sunsets

Lake Ontario offers some spectacular sunsets, especially from the eastern shore facing west. I grew up visiting the Henderson Bay area, where we'd occasionally see the sun drop off behind the archipelago of islands that rim that bay. When I went to school in Oswego, I saw them sink below the water of the open lake.

Trite as the art is, this is why sunset pictures are dear to me. They take me back to many an evening where I watched this seemingly mundane event with my siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. At the same time that they give me this nostalgic feeling of comfort, they make me feel insignificant, which gives me perspective.

After some 30 years since my parents afforded us one and two-week stays, I was able to do the same for my family this year. We rented a lovely and well-appointed cottage south of Stony Point. Finally I was able to see more than a few sunsets from my dorm room in the winter time. Here are some of the better ones from my week of vacation in Jefferson Park, NY.









1 comment:

  1. thanks for putting these gorgeous pictures up. they are a joy! Oswego memories...ah....

    ReplyDelete