Monday, June 20, 2011

The MacGyver Award


If I own a real hatchet, I could not find it. So I grabbed a lath hatchet and packed it for our camping trip. I also purchased firewood to take with me. I figured I could rive some kindling, using the hatchet, out of the purchased wood.

When we got to the campsite I saw that some previous inhabitants left some wood, and there was a foot-and-a-half round section of a red oak or similar hardwood tree. How would I split that into nice pieces for the fire? With the hatchet.

The handle broke after one attempt at trying to split the section, so now I no longer have a hatchet, but now a small piece of firewood and a wedge. Do I panic? Get upset? No. (See the movie The Edge with Anthony Hopkins; most people die of shame when lost in the woods, his character argues).


I drove the detached head like a wedge into the log with another piece of hardwood.

With it set firmly into the wood, I drop the log and wedge to a large rock, wedge-end first.

This drove the wedge into the wood. Is it lost?

No. Now I drive a piece of wood into the crack.

This drives the two halves further apart, frees the wedge, and gives me more usable firewood.
I did this repeatedly to the log until I had about eight pieces of firewood.

The lesson? Learn to improvise. It impressed the hell out of my son, and made for a much nicer fire that lasted long enough for our trip.

He might actually admire me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment