Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Amateur Grammarian II: Or Not

I noticed a peculiar problem in my house, starting about a year ago. My daughter started dropping the infinitive 'to be' from some phrases.

"I need picked up," she says, calling from work at the end of her shift. Regarding the screaming feline, she'd say, "the cat needs fed."

Then I noticed my wife started doing it. Then I heard a man at work do it. I stopped him in the hallway and interrogated him as to where he grew up. The only common thread is that all three people I mentioned used to live in Pittsburgh at one time or another.

When I pointed this out to my wife and daughter, they first denied doing it, then insisted there was nothing wrong with it, then made jokes out of it. My daughter, when she can't win an argument, will just say, "Oh.... TO BE!" and then run off. Jennifer decided that Hamlet's famous soliloquy should no begin, "Or not. That is the question."

I just want educated on where this comes from.

2 comments:

  1. Yinz got a problem wit Pixburghese an 'at?

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! thanks for posting. My daughter also calls it 'Pixburgh' :-)

    I found out shortly after writing this piece that the phenomenon is definitely PA-related.

    Thanks for chiming in. Keep listening to WDVE.

    ReplyDelete